Thursday, July 7, 2011

David Hunter – Comoros 2009-2010

http://c3experiences.wordpress.com/

A cursory glance at any conservation related job application makes it pretty clear that experience is a must. My time with C3 gave me one of the most rounded conservation experiences that I believe you can get. The size of the NGO means that you get to try your hand at everything. One moment your main concern is whether or not question 8 in the socio-economic survey you’re helping to design is really necessary, the next you’re desperately trying not to lose count as the 105th egg pops out the backend of a green turtle. You may find yourself standing at the front of a class of young students wanting to learn English in the morning and then in the afternoon, you’ll be wondering if you can fit the breadfruit as well as the cassava into the last remaining space under your left arm. I got a chance to be involved in all walks of life in a conservation NGO, from the day to day tasks of keeping a camp in a developing country running well, to helping in the design, data collection, and writing up of scientific research.

undefined







































































However, what made my experience with C3 so unique was its dedication to working at the community level. This of course has massive benefits for the sustainability and effectiveness of C3’s projects but also gives you the incredible opportunity to really become part of a different culture. What I learnt culturally, the people I met and the experiences I had are equally important to me as what I learnt about science.

I am in no doubt that my experience with C3 gave me the edge I needed to get a job in the competitive world of conservation.

https://c3experiences.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/the-story-of-an-internship-at-c3%E2%80%99s-headquarters-dahab-south-sinai-egypt/#comments

No comments:

Post a Comment